Updated by Andy Hugelier
Boards is a free form planning space, where you and your team can collaborate on work without needing a scheduled date.
Boards Quick Demo
What can I do with Boards?
Since Boards are flexible spaces to work as you like, there is no one way to use the feature. However, here are some ideas of great ways to put it into practice:
- Unschedule content when publishing dates change
- Create a Stamps library in one Board for running plays
- Create a scratch space for ideas
Why is the feature in beta?
We wanted you to have access to Boards as soon as possible, even though there are many great new features on the way. You may also run into small issues while using the feature in the beta, but these are being addressed quickly and won't affect the stability of Opal or block your work.
Creating within a board
The basic building block within a board is a Moment. You can create new Moments easily by clicking 'create' at the bottom of the table, adding a name and hitting enter. Several attributes of the Moment can be edited directly (see 'Editing data in a board') by simply clicking on that field and adding or editing the value.
Adding and removing moments from a Board
Adding from the calendar
You can add Moments to a Board by using the right-click menu from week view or by opening any Moment and using the options menu (...) in the top right of the sidebar and selecting 'Add to Board'.
Removing from a Board or moving to another Board
Currently, there is no direct way to remove or move Moments from a Board. As a workaround, you can open the Moment and select 'Add to Board' from the options menu (...) in the top right of the sidebar, and deselect the current Board or select a different Board.
Editing data in a board
Several attributes for Moments within a Board can be edited directly by clicking on them, such as:
- Moment Name
- Date (start date only)
There are other attributes that are not yet directly editable, such as:
- Moment cover image
Unscheduling Moments and Content
You can remove the scheduled date from Moments in a Board by clicking directly on the date field and selecting 'Remove Date' from the button at the bottom of the date picker.
What happens to unscheduled Moments and content when you remove the scheduled date?
- They will not be visible on the Calendar view
- They will not deliver to publishing integrations, even if they had a previous integration set up
- They will retain all of their other metadata and associations like Stories
There are a lot of updates that will be coming to Boards over the coming weeks and months. If you can't figure out how to do something in Boards, it may be something we've got on the horizon. Here are a few areas that you may have questions about:
Privacy & Sharing
Currently, Boards is open to everyone in the workspace, and can't be made private. However, Moments and content in a Board still respect the privacy settings and won't be visible or accessible to anyone you haven’t given access to that space. We are planning to add privacy and sharing functionality to Boards very soon.
Restricting Editing Access
Currently there is no method for restricting who can edit a Board.
You can add individual Moments and content in a Board to a Presentation, but currently there is no feature to allow you to create a Presentation directly from a Board. This is something we're exploring for a future update.
Other features we're considering or exploring:
- Filtering & sorting
- Chat & Activity
- Jump to Boards via Search
- Board duplication & templates
- Viewing Moments as cards
- Displaying channel mix icons on Moments in a Board
We are rapidly working behind the scenes to fix the following list of known issues with our Boards beta.
Content Delivery Integration: Sprinklr
If content is in an unscheduled moment, the content’s workflow will automatically not reach the final approval stage and the workflow hangs in the UI after user approval.
Upon refresh, the Workflow sidebar shows an incomplete phase.
Content Delivery Integration: Khoros
If content is in an unscheduled moment, the content’s workflow will indicate a Future delivery time is needed. However, user is still able to click approve on the final phase which will result in the same behavior as Sprinklr (as noted above).
Other integrations: Hootsuite, Dash Hudson, and FB Ads Manager
It is possible to move through a content’s workflow (when it is in an unscheduled moment). However, due to the content not having a scheduled date, the content will not be delivered to the platform. Currently, no error messages appear in the UI when this situation occurs.
Moment Chat & Activity (C&A)
- Edits made to a moment in the Board view are currently not captured in the C&A of the moment.
- When a moment is unscheduled and added to a Board, the activity is currently not captured in the C&A of the moment.
- When a moment is added to a Board, the activity is currently not captured in the C&A of the moment .
- When attempting to duplicate a moment that is in a Board, the duplicated moment will not be correctly associated with the Board that the original moment was in. In addition, the toast notification that should link to the newly duplicated moment does not work and rather brings a user back to the Board (when it should open the moment).
- Content workflow tasks and approvals do not appear in the Assignments view if the content is in an unscheduled moment
- Moment workflow tasks and approvals do appear in the Assignments view if the moment is unscheduled, however the moment name does not appear:
- Content workflow tasks assigned to you do not appear in the Personal Panel if the content is in an unscheduled moment
- Personal Panel does not currently appear in Boards.
- If search is opened while viewing Boards, any object that appears in the search result can not be opened.
- It is currently not possible to search for a specific Board via search.